Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Julianne Moore: 'Still' going strong as she is named Best Actress

I'm going to be dead honest, I really kind of wanted Felicity Jones to win this award. However, at that time, I hadn't seen 'Still Alice', okay, I still haven't seen it but I have spent the morning researching and watching clips and trailers and interviews and my god, I hold my hands up, she deserved it. I cannot wait to watch this film! 

On accepting her award for best actress at the 87th Oscars, Moore, 54, who plays the role of an Alzheimers sufferer, spoke of the struggle that so many face today 'I'm thrilled that we were able to shine a light on Alzheimers disease, so many people with this disease feel isolated' she then continued to thank her friends and family and said 'one of the wonderful thing about movies is that it makes us feel seen and not alone and people with Alzheimers deserve to be seen so that we can find a cure'




She also praised her fellow nominees who looked on from the crowd which included Felicity Jones, Marion Cotillard, Reese Witherspoon and Rosamund Pike, 'There's no such thing as best actress, I've been honoured to be among you every step of the way'.


The emotional winner ended by thanking the film makers, Wash Westmoreland and Richard Glatzer '(they) had hoped to be here tonight but they can't because of Richard's health' She then continued to address the subject already touched on by winner, Eddie Redmayne 'When Richard was diagnosed with ALS, Wash asked him what he wanted to do (in life)....and he said he wanted to make movies and that is what he did'

 The crowd began to applause as she tearfully thanked her husband and children, 'Thank you for my life, thank you for giving me a home' and on that note, she exited the stage, clutching her award proudly.

With both speeches from Julianne Moore and Eddie Redmayne, it soon became a night of awareness of both mental and physical diseases and from what I saw, there wasn't a dry eye in the house. Congratulations to them both on their well deserved achievements. I promise to soon watch 'Still Alice' in full and review it.


- Zoe x

No comments:

Post a Comment