Monday, February 23, 2015

The Theory of Everything: The Definition of Incredible.

When I say incredible, I mean incredible. First of all, let us just praise the extraordinary acting of Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones, who play Professor Stephen Hawking and his wife, Jane Wilde in this brand new, inspiring biopic directed by James Marsh and based on book written by Jane Wilde herself, 'Travelling to infinity: My life with Stephen Hawking'which I have to say I would now love to read! 

Anyway, back to the acting. Obviously, like everybody else, on discovering this had been made into a movie,it sounded fantastic but  I was sat asking myself the question '...but how?'
The story in itself was obviously going to be powerful and emotional, but the acting, for Eddie Redmayne especially must have proven a challenge, especially knowing full well Professor Hawking would be watching it when all is said and done. But I have to say, he didn't fail him, I can't imagine it being performed any better.Having to perform the deteriorating physical health, the emotional struggle and the heartbreak, Mr Redmayne you have out done yourself, you have touched people's hearts with your performance and  I am sure you will forever be remembered for it. Not to mention, you're drop dead gorgeous and irresistibly charming (had to be said)


Naturally, I entered the cinema expecting to be flooding the place with tears before the opening line but I didn't, I honestly didn't cry much at all, if at all. That might make me sound heartless but I was in shock, I sat there for the whole two hours, in absolute fascination, I had a lump in the throat through most of it and the amount of times I must have gasped and 'aww'-ed out loud are probably uncountable. I remember welling up towards the end and it was a relief otherwise I would have felt completely cold hearted! I'm sure if I had stopped and just looked around me for a second, the whole cinema would be there, jaws dropped and eyes glistening with tears.

The beautiful Felicity Jones, who plays Jane Wilde Hawking, well and truly out did herself, she really portrayed the love and strength towards Stephen, even in the darkest times and when things got too much, her acting was phenomenal, really pulled at the heart strings. And the likeness of her and the real Jane Wilde, well, it's like it was meant to be!

Despite the drama and the sad aspect of this movie, it's about a man, despite all odds being against him, fulfilling his dream, finding the love of his life and having a family. Also, it's funny, yes, funny. As in the whole cinema would erupt in laughter at some of the comments and jokes quite often in the movie, showing that despite the struggle, the young couple could still make each other smile and laugh. So if you're worried about seeing it because you don't want to be sat there sobbing all night and going home depressed, don't. This movie really makes you appreciate life, really makes you count your blessings and makes you realise, to quote Professor Hawking himself 'However bad life may seem,while there is life, there is hope'

The film ended with a round of applause and cheering from the small cinema crowd I was sat with, a very well deserved round of applause at that. Seriously, if you haven't seen this film yet, go see it, you're missing out on one of the most incredible tales ever to be told.

- Zoe x


No comments:

Post a Comment